Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Strangers: What If They Affect Us?

Let them affect us in a wonderfully positive way.
sunset at the beach

It has been a year since I launched myself into photography. The things I have to learn before I can call myself a worthy photographer are still overwhelming. Among the things that I am passionately learning is paying attention. Ordinarily, I would look but not really see. Now, I appreciate nature at a higher level than I used to.

There was one time when I wanted to take a picture of a scenic spot but there are always people around that won't look good in my frame. Exasperated at the situation, I began to take pictures of the people. That is when I saw them – strangers. What if seeing these strangers affect us? The thing about strangers is we can come up with so many stories about and around them and we can reflect on various questions about their possible thoughts and emotions. While we do, it can't be helped but learn about the ways of the world that can affect our perspectives of other people and our relationship with them. I recall what Stephen R. Covey has written in his book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: “As you care less about what others think of you, you will care more about what others think of themselves and their worlds, including their relationship with you.” You would not normally think about what strangers think of you that when you see them, you are inclined to think about what they think of themselves and how they feel.

Here is a photograph of a child with extended hand. Her face shows a certain joy. Joy of giving?


In contrast, here is an old beggar with a sad face. Is she really sad or just tired? Did she ever think that it is better to give than to receive? Is she thinking it now? Why does she have to beg? When I saw this beggar, I felt grateful for the things that I have. I gave her money and thought that there are beggars because people give.


Here is a photograph of a child happily playing with water. It makes me smile and I begin to feel the happiness of being alive.


Here is a photograph of a taho vendor. What could he be worried about?


Whatever our responses are to our reflective questions affect us. The important thing is we let them affect us in a positive way. As for me, I enjoy taking photographs of strangers. So far my experiences doing so are all positive. I'd like to end this blog with a beautiful thought of Vincent Van Gogh: “The more I think it over, the more I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people.

No comments:

Post a Comment